A combination of endocrine and nonendocrine autoimmune diseases causing increased thyroid secretion and thyroid gland enlargement.
The three types of APS are:
- APS I: autoimmune polyendocrinopathy candidiasis ectodermal dystrophy (APECED)
- Characterized by hypoparathyroidism, Addison’s disease, and chronic mucocutaneous candidiasis
- APS II: Schmidt Syndrome
- Characterized by diabetes mellitus type 1, Addison’s disease, autoimmune hypothyroidism/Hashimoto’s
- APS III: autoimmune polyglandular syndrome type 3
- Characterized by autoimmune thyroiditis and either, diabetes mellitus type 1, pernicious anemia, vitiligo, and/or alopecia areata